Kriya Yoga Initiation actually depends upon the teacher or Acharya. Some teachers make it a personal and one to one event, while others make it a group event, some others consider it like a seminar. As long as your teacher is a genuine and advanced practitioner, all methods are and should be OK.
Some teachers like to make this ceremony a memorable one with some rituals and worship.
In my view, few things are most important during Kriya Yoga Initiation…
- You should be able to understand Kriya Yoga practice and its component clearly. This becomes more important if you are learning this for the first time. After all, your daily practice depends upon right practice.
- Ask practical questions and seek clarity for the practice.
- Enjoy the rituals or ceremony, if you don’t like or is seeing this for the first time.
- Have faith in teacher, and above all in the lineage of Kriya Gurus and God and pray for the betterment. You don’t have anything to fear as long as you are true seeker.
- Keep in touch with the teacher and try to perform the practice in his presence. In a manner, try to get your practice checked.
Silence, intentful learning and observation are the key. Don’t hesitate to ask question or clear about some technique or your doubts. It is better to ask the teacher after he had explained the particular technique or after complete explanation.
I can’t think and assume of any good Kriya Yoga teacher, who won’t be happy and shouldn’t be happy and make effort to explain the techniques cheerfully and with patience. This is your right as new students, disciples and seekers in the path of Kriya Yoga.
Definitely, avoid unrelated and irrelevant questions and queries that are not related with practical consideration. Never be argumentative.
Don’t compare with others teachings if you are already initiated into Kriya Yoga previously. These questions, if you think necessary, can be asked or cleared when you are having one to one discussion opportunity in private with the teacher.
Simply, try to be open minded and kind hearted. Try to understand the techniques and their practice. That will be most helpful.